Friday, August 21, 2009

Supply Teaching is not for the Faint Hearted!

What a week! There are just sometimes that you have to admit that you don't know if you Arthur or Martha! (Hence the clip art image!) By the way, I am Martha!

It is interesting that this week has come post my last workshop. Some class groups are just so high needs that they test every aspect of your teaching skills, every fibre of your teaching instincts. The lack of relationship and your limited prior knowledge of routine and expectation can only be seen as positives if you place them into the "character building aspect" of your profession! Even the deputy principal smiled at me on the third day and said, "Oh well ,you are still coming back each day .....that is a good sign!"

In all my years of teaching, I have never seen a year level group of Senior Primary pupils that consist of so many very high needs children. The classroom teachers are both dedicated and beautiful professionals. It is not through lack of management that this cohort require high energy to stay one step ahead, it is purely the combination of students. All this aside, I had a job to do, one step at a time and one day at a time!

One lovely lady at my last workshop asked most earnestly during the Behaviour Management
Chapter, "But what do you do if they still won't do what is being asked of them?" I may have been evasive in my answer as to date most of the suggestions I include in my book have always been my answers. Perhaps this is why I was sent this test this week ..... and I still have to face them again next week!

I am submitting this blog entry to show you that I DO live in the real world and the schools in my general area are not all filled with angels from heaven! There have been a few strategies that have been my saving grace this week and I thought I would share them. ....

  1. In my book Behaviour Management Chapter 6, I write, (tongue in cheek)....Don't negotiate with terrorists! Having a daily agenda meant I could simply state that is what is expected and that is what is happening now. There was no choice in the focus of that section of the day.
  2. Brain Breaks worked perfectly for the incentive this group needed to focus and then be rewarded. I kept a very tight rein on the selection of activities, however including a few of their favourites was a winning idea. Those children not working simply did not join the break time activity. They were not impressed I can tell you.
  3. Being scrupulously fair about rewards, tidy desk expectations, and completion of work helped me stay sane. Any record of these activities were not keep on the board but rather in my note pad. Yes, this is a class that would re-write history if they could!
  4. I only gave one warning during a group dissuasion and then asked the group if they were tired of the interruption to their learning. Offender was then asked to do the Top 100. Simple, clear, easy and it wasn't about me. Peer Jury (Page 21) worked a treat!
  5. I also made sure I had work strategies at hand if a task proved too difficult or extension activities. Rotational activities were also much more engaging as they children realized they they would be only on this activity for a set amount of time and then have the opportunity for change.
  6. My digital timer was priceless as I could be specific about time and follow through fairly.
  7. Lastly, my coloured gel pen and cute stamp were a big hit. (Just because they were different I think!)

As I said earlier, I have this class for another week. I am more prepared than ever work content wise and I am also aware of each student's abilities and needs. I am sure this week will still be interesting; however, I am feeling a little more confident that things might not be so challenging as we have learnt a little more about each other.

Live, laugh and learn!

Blessings for your teaching journey!

Carmel


No comments:

Post a Comment