Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Be Prepared!



The Supply Teacher's Tool Box!

Just like a trade's person, teachers are never to know what tools we may need on any given day!
As a Supply teacher, we have to be prepared and carry these tools with us every day. The more organized you are, the more you can streamline these resources so you are not physically carrying an unnecessary load. I have over given this a lot of thought over the years. Organization in my home environment makes for a smooth start to the day in so far as quickly packing "the tools" I may need. I have come to consider the tools based on these catergories.....
  1. Must Haves!
  • Hat
  • Sports Shoes
  • Umbrella
  • Water Bottle
  • Teacher's Badge
  • Cush Balls

2. Great to Have.

  • My teacher year level resource file.
  • Magnetic clock face.
  • Digital Timer
  • Whistle
  • Pencil Case etc
  • CDs ...music, songs, reflection or dance!

3. Optional Extras

  • Dice
  • Pick A Stick
  • Calculator
  • Magic Crystals
  • Magnetic pegs
  • Deck of Cards
  • Picture cards
  • Alphabet cards
  • 1-10 Cards
  • 1-25 tiles
  • Puppet
  • Selected Year level resources.

For the purpose of this blog, I thought I would just focus on one thing in my pencil case that is mandatory. I have six of these brightly coloured laminated cards. Look closely...can you work out what they may be?



If you are thinking this doesn't look like fun, you are correct.

It is a list of the TOP 100 most frequently misspelt words, organized into five lists of twenty. It is an old fashioned but effective behaviour management technique you may require when you have given the appropriate explanation and warning. I don't have call to use it often. Normally just telling the students about the TOP 100 AWARD (as I like to fondly call it) is enough. When necessary I attach it to the whiteboard as a visual reminder that I mean business!

If students are required to complete the TOP 100, I would always get them to sign and date under the statement that tells the class teacher why this work was assigned. I have found that sometimes it is necessary that "the leader" gets the full list and the "support partner in crime" may be given three lists instead of five! Often the class agrees with this as fair treatment.

When a class is undertaking an activity that requires quiet environment and a student chooses to push the boundaries, I don't hesitate. The card is immediately produced...no warnings. Class members can be very grateful that you mean business, not just all words. You need to make that professional judgement.

I also have a version for the younger children. I call it NUMBERS 1-200. The child simply writes out his numbers 1-200 or 1-100 ....whatever you set. Again I would keep the work as a record with a statement of what happened. Funny enough the attention seeking child usually just wants to be busy and may well be sick of listening to class discussion. It gives them a productive task with a learning outcome. Often they forget it was a punishment.

I have had a little chap get so wonderfully engaged with this activity in Year2, third year of school, that he published a book with the numbers written to 2000, in lots of 100. I made a friend for life and what a fantastic exploration of our number system. He was so proud of his mathematical thinking, it became quite consuming for him. The class teacher was so surprised and pleased with his reaction too!

As with any behaviour issues , you always need to ask yourself why this behaviour is occurring. There is an old saying with much truth.... when you point the finger of blame at someone; there is always three coming back at you! Most children want to please. What could you be doing to be more effective in this classroom. A difficult question for the supply teacher given you are only there for the day but one that is worthy of thought.

Blessings for the journey....

Live,laugh and learn!

Carmel




1 comment: