Sunday, March 1, 2009

"Reality Checks !" or " Memory Moments"?

Which is it to be?

Decisions,decisions!

It has occurred to me, between blogs, that while it is all fine and dandy to write about my current experience, there has been many relief teaching experiences that have shaped my teaching and knowledge to what it is today.

Quite a few of these" multi-level, multi-age, multi-need" experiences really stay with me! (Funny about that!) I have always been a bit of a positive thinker and I can honestly say that on those really wonderful days when everything is sunshine and flowers, it is great to rejoice and say," Now what did I learn from all that?" Easy!
It is far more relevant to ask this exact same question as you sign off from the day with "The Class from Hell!" Even though it may be through gritted teeth, I sincerely ask myself..."Now what did I learn from all that?" The answers usually are quite illuminating!

Learning what doesn't work is learning!

It is on this basis that I am going to tell you that some of my blogs will be current " Reality Checks" and some will be my stand out "Memory Moments" (Many of these moments form the strategies and ideas that are the basis of my workshop book I called "Relief Insight.")

You are probably asking yourself how long have I been doing relief work. Please know I had a considerable amount of time full time teaching experience ,as well as some administration roles, prior to starting our family. Once we knew we had twins on the way, I shelved the idea of part- time teaching and focused on my role of motherhood. Life was delightfully busy with the arrival our third son. Life does not also track true to your goals and when plans turned upside down for my darling husband, I jumped back into workforce in the role of supply/relief teaching. This arrangement was not exactly what we both had on the game plan but the flexibly of this role as an addition income stream had appeal for the situation we found our family in. Since this time, eight years ago, I have worked in a variety of different roles and employment contracts. The professional experiences that have come my way have been brilliant.


Professionally, at first, Relief Teaching was quite a shock for me. Always being up for the challenge, I decided to embrace the situation and learn! The shock comes because professionally speaking, it is a very different role, and like I have said before, the relationship base is just not there. I was lucky that I have previously taught a wide range of year levels. I had always maintained my profession reading. However, jumping from year level to different year on a daily basis, sometimes hourly basis, depending on the schools needs, can be mentally challenging not to mention exhausting! I was determined to not be beaten!

I do hope you find my blogs helpful in your teaching journey...whether I am writing about "A Reality Check " or reflecting in "Memory Moments" Both reflections should hold some nourishment for your soul as a fellow traveller! Remember I would LOVE to hear your experience too.

Live,learn and laugh!
Blessings for the journey...
Carmel

No comments:

Post a Comment